- Interview by: Magic Brian
- Interviewee: Hilby the Skinny German Juggle Boy
- Original Recording Dates: January 23, 2013
- Date: Aired: March 1, 2014
- Location: Brian’s Hotel Room during the World Buskers Festival in Christchurch, New Zealand
- Mixed and edited by: Linsey Lindberg and David Aiken for The Busker Hall of Fame
Comments: A traveling social worker turned juggler, Michael Hilby’s journey has been an adventure filled with trial and error. The result? A character-based performance that draws on his German heritage and a study of street theatre traditions and formulas that he incorporates into his show.
This interview between Magic Brian and Hilby dives into the controversial subject of using stock material, stealing other peoples material and the importance of having trusted mentors to guide emerging artists around the potential mine fields of temptation a performer encounters when hearing a line that would be so easy to lift.
Decades into his career, Hilby still exhibits a genuine enthusiasm for being in front of an audience. There’s a giddy-joy to this Skinny German Juggle Boy that’s just unstoppable.